What is Certificate of Conformity: Guide to trade documentation
- By Sumit Gupta
- November 21, 2020
What is COC
A document certified by a competent authority that the supplied good or service meets the required specifications and comply with the regulation of the importing country. It is a mandatory document which is necessary for Customs clearance of exports to many countries around the globe.
Why it is required
Many countries are apprehensive about the quality of some imported goods. To ensure the safety and wellbeing of their citizens, some countries insist that, before goods are imported, they must be inspected to ensure that they meet International standards. Consignments that meet the standards are given a Certificate of Conformity which is presented to the customs authorities in the importing country to be cleared for importation.
Unsafe and unreliable imported products can result in injury, death or damage to property. This is the reason why most countries around the world have stringent requirements in place to ensure their consumers are protected from sub-standard products and goods.
When it is required
The certificate has to be obtained before shipment.
Governments have relationships with the international agencies that inspect and issue Certificates of Conformity. Some of the popular certification agencies are:
- SGS (Societe Generale de Surveillance)
Countries that require Certificates of Conformity
- Saudi Arabia
Features of a Certificate of Conformity are
- Protection of public health.
- Consumer safety.
- National security.
- Protection of religious and public morals.
- Protection of environment.
- Prevention of deceptive practices.
SASO COC benefits
- Unsafe products cannot be imported and so are eliminated from the national market.
- Dumping of poor quality and sub-standard products is prevented, helping domestic manufacturers to compete fairly.
- Programmes are usually paid for by exporters.
- It facilitates the exports of Goods to KSA.
- It increases merchant’s sales in KSA.
- Increases products goodwill in KSA market.
- Your goods will not get stuck in custom.
- SASO certification provides global credibility.
4PL Consultancy has a team of experts in Tariff classifications of wide variety of Product lines – Medical spares, Aerospace, Radiation Oncology machines & spares etc.